Sunday, September 21, 2014

you can't run and you can't hide. Mission; drink tea and watch the world go by, if you can afford it.

This week i worked... on........ i have no idea.  Seems like i'm hitting alot of walls.

I worked some more on the Venice painting... got stuck.

Went to a show at California Museum of Fine Art in Torrance.  Great show there called  'Reallism without Borders'.  http://www.californiamuseumoffineart.com/

Some comp studies for new pieces... i know there is an easier way to do this... hum. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm. Hummmmmmmmm.


I worked on some smaller comps. The second one is very clearly rushed because i'm getting more stressed about the whole 'no income' thing.  Time to start a portfolio. Seriously.







Some plein air...   here is one piece.  I ran out of tape so the edges don't look as nice.



 Kinda stressing about the digital portfolio i haven't been working on since my professional fine art portfolio still owns the pedestool... but uh. Gotta work on that today. (watch me not work on it today... but seriously... i'm going to right now.)

I suppose it would be beneficial to elaborate on why i have chosen this as my next profession to make ends meet.  What i've been doing so far is modeling and taking on prototype painting projects.  Modeling would take up too much time to break even and my prototype painting gigs are drying up.   Teaching and tutoring pays about the same as modeling and i would have to develop a whole new lesson plan and adapt to a very different job.  Not easy.  I could drown even further in the business of fineart but the market for me specially as a beginner is too unstable, i don't think it would financially hold me up.  So in the past i've done some digital painting and used computers... i've gotten to know people in the business and it pays well.  If i can land very few freelance jobs i could survive.   I'm gonna try to do that, survival sounds good.  I'm currently surviving off financial responsibility, when i was getting more jobs i saved the money knowing that freelance fluctuates.

Well, back on the road of this weeks review, this week was the last week some buddies of mine and i were holding a drawing session.  It takes place at CAI, so since it's closing... here is my drawing in progress. Meghan is modeling, she's great.
I'm building a new drawing board... which is kinda cool. It's big, and exciting looking. I got the idea from a friend who took a workshop with Iliya Mirochnik at LAAFA.  I'll show progress photos, just got around to buying the materials for it this week. 






Artist retrospective this week; Francisco Goya. 1746-1828.  Spanish.

Goya lived through the Peninsular War which was brutal.  War is never clean and everyone gets their hands dirty with some of the worst traits the human race has acquired.  Goya experienced this first hand and was witness to many other unflattering social customs and built an intense body of work based on his critical truths.
Check out his etchings.  http://www.wikiart.org/en/francisco-goya/self-portrait


Goya, 'Self Portrait', 1815,  20"x18", Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando, Madrid, Spain.

Goya - Caprichos - No. 43, 'El sueño de la razon produce monstruos', c.1799, Museo del Prado.



Goya-  'The third of May, 1808', 1814, 106"x137", Museo del Prado.